Translate My Blog!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Interview with AmourshippingCanon

I recently had the chance to conduct my first fanfiction author's interview, as I'd been hoping to! This first one was with a wonderful supporter and phenomenal author, AmmourshippingCanon (or AmourshippingDude as he was known on Twitter and YouTube). Below is the transcript of that awesome interview, so give it a read! Who knows what you'll get out of it!


Epicocity: All right, then! What got you into the fandom(s) that you’re currently writing for?

AmourshippingCanon (AC): Well, I was a Pokémon fan at 4, and was really into the games and anime for a few years. Always been more of an anime fan. Lost interest a few times over the years, but generally I always went back to watching the show and playing the games at different points. For XY, I probably got into it more than any other series...which is basically how all this has happened.

Epicocity: Probably a similar story for many of us in the fandom, if I'm honest, ha ha.

AC: I think I've seen the same story posted about 100 times on Twitter

Epicocity: Very true. Are you a part of any community as a writer? Do you enjoy that community?

AC: Oh yeah, I'm part of the amazing Twitter community, where we all love to share stories and our love of Pokémon. We rarely fight, and we just love to talk about our favourite shows together. (Insert laugh track here). Twitter was definitely fun when I first joined last year in March, and it was a great place to promote Gotta Catch That One, but definitely since Sun and Moon began, the fights, the people leaving and the lack of activity from old friends has made it less enjoyable.

Epicocity: Yeah, I, myself joined late, but even then, it's interesting to see the sharp contrast in how the community has changed. Do you think there's any possibility of it changing? Or will it always remain hostile, particularly towards Amour, to you?

AC: I do think it hit its worst point in December. That was probably when a lot of people left, or became more aggressive with the hate. As crazy as it sounds, it seems a little bit better now. I think fighting will continue, though. There are people - on both sides - that just don't let it stop and insist on provoking more. I think it'll get better, but not too much better.

Epicocity: A interesting assessment. Your favorite genre to read or write?

AC: The usual for people who like Pokémon...adventure, action, fantasy. Obviously I'm into romance to an extent with amourshipping, but I would probably die if I read a story where romance was the ONLY thing in it. I need the good guy vs bad guy stuff.

Epicocity: Balance is always a good thing, right?

AC: Definitely...which I still need to work on.

Epicocity: Your favorite work that you’ve written? Keep in mind, not what you consider your best, just your favorite.

AC: I haven't written too much, really. I think Lumiose University will eventually get there, but it's not my favourite yet. GCTO has to be it. I had too much fun writing that.

Epicocity: I had a feeling you'd say that, simply from the energy you put into that story.

AC: Nearly every single day in May last year had a chapter being worked on.

Epicocity: Must seem odd now, huh?

AC: Kind of depressing to not be getting a bunch of chapters out again...but it was pretty tiring a few times when I felt like I HAD to have one done.

Epicocity: Expectations can smother any writer, I think. Describe your favorite scene that you’ve ever written, and why is it so?

AC: Probably my Ash-Greninja vs Mega Charizard X battle. I really felt like I was in the zone when I was writing it. I think that one battle ended up being 4000 words long, but it wasn't just attack after attack. To me at least, it seemed to build up each attack as the battle went along. Spoiler alert...I think I'll make a better Ash-Greninja vs Mega Scizor fight at some point.

Epicocity: That seems to be everyone's favorite battle to write. Have to wonder if it's like karmic retribution, ha ha. What do you feel is your magnum opus?

AC: Well...GCTO, I guess. For something that was just a little hobby to begin with, it got a lot of praise in the community. It even inspired a few other writers, which is definitely something I'm proud of. And...I didn't just look up what magnum opus means...why would I do that?

Epicocity: *shakes head* Are there any influences you have as a writer? Why so?

AC: There's some writer named Epicocity, who is probably my favourite author. You might've heard of him. I wasn't very professional in my approach to writing before, so it was inspiring to see how much preparation went into the Kalos Trilogy.

Epicocity: Very funny, ha ha. That aside, I'm sure even for yourself, it must be nice to know that you've inspired other writers.

AC: I jump up and do a little dance if I'm told I've inspired someone to write.

Epicocity: Any particular favorite works? Why those?

AC: Definitely the Kalos Trilogy and the start of the Alola Trilogy from you. I started reading those just for the amourshipping, but they are far more than that. The villain plots, action and figuring out the little clues for the big reveals are a lot of fun. And of course Champions and Crushes by Potat. I'm not caught up yet, but I loved the Kalos League in that story, and of course the amourshipping is great. And, the collab story from the both of you was a lot of fun to read. It had its dark moments, but it was interesting to see you in particular go with a slightly less dark plot.

Epicocity: I do tend to go dark, don't I? But I'm glad to have joined that echelon of favorite stories. Speaking of, favorite scene from any others works?

AC: I say it a lot, and it sounds like a joke, but Dedenne paralyzing Rayquaza in Turbulence was one of the greatest things I've ever read. Both hilarious and epic. And the Reeree and Serena conversation in Tribulations was great too. And I did enjoy the Pikachu vs Mega Charizard X battle in One Day Off. I was able to tolerate no Ash-Greninja for Pikachu to get the win.

Epicocity: Ha ha, well, Dedenne is only going to grow more badass. Though I've personally never read One Day Off. How did you begin as an author? Give your story!

AC: Let's see...well, like I said before, I got into XY February last year. After catching up to XYZ, I started browsing for fanfics, looking for an amourshipping story, and I wanted to read one that was completed, so the first one I found was One Day Off by 123pearlshipping (I know...but despite the author's name, it's an amourshipping story). I got through that pretty quickly and then one night, I randomly started writing.

I don't think I even planned to finish a chapter, let alone a story, but eventually I had the chapter done, and I enjoyed getting it done. After that, I wrote another chapter...then another, and another, and then I had six done. I posted one on FanFiction.net and then people started favouriting and reviewing, so did a massive posting and put up five more chapters at once. I couldn't stop once I'd done that, and I just kept writing. Then I read Love in the Time of Teamwork and I was completely addicted to writing. By the end of May 2016, I was more than halfway through the biggest project I've ever completed.

Epicocity: I remember finding it shortly after I'd joined the community. It was an experience to see it all come out so quickly, so it makes me glad that you discovered that joy of writing.

AC: I don't think I've ever been so motivated in my entire life

Epicocity: Describe your writing process?

AC: At first, it was just, "come up with an idea and write". Basically everything was chapter by chapter. For GCTO, I only knew I wanted to end it with the league and Diantha battle when I was writing the first Team Flare conflict. Everything was basically write as you go. Once reading Teamwork, though, once you started reviewing and when I was noticed a little more, I knew the "professionalism" needed to be stepped up.

Now, I plan things out a lot more carefully, with things like chapter outlines and having a bunch of notes for different plotlines. When I actually start writing the chapter, though, I probably rewrite the first page about ten times before I'm satisfied. Then, I write the rest. I get distracted a lot, though. I go on Bulbapedia to make sure movesets and descriptions for Pokémon are right, and then I'll watch entire episodes of Pokémon when I'm making sure I've got little details about past journeys right. So...now you know why I'm delayed a lot of the time.

Epicocity: Yeah, the little details can always be the hang up for the writer, but I do think those movesets and descriptions are important. But it's interesting that the first page gives you so much trouble.

AC: I don't know, really...I guess I just like the start of the chapter to feel right.

Epicocity: First impressions are always important. Have you ever thought about branching into other fandoms?

AC: Not really with Pokémon. I'm pretty comfortable just writing that. Amourshipping specifically, though, yes. I had that Bonnie story started, and I started planning out a Dawn story. I'll probably go back to the Bonnie story at some point. But overall, Pokémon is what I started writing for, and I can't see myself writing anything else. At least for fanfiction.

Epicocity: Reasonable, really. Any upcoming tidbits you’d like to talk about?

AC: For Lumiose University? Or something else?

Epicocity: Anything you want to share about what might be coming up in your stories.

AC: Well, for Lumiose University, the bounce back Ash is on his way. I have a very important part of the story coming up in 4-5 chapters. As for other stories, another bet has me planning a pearlshipping oneshot. I'm also hoping for a couple of GCTO oneshots this summer. Maybe something about Ash and Serena's kid. And I will admit to something I've kept secret...I've got 45 chapters outlined for a Bonnie story. If I can get the time, maybe starting in September if I can get ahead on Lumiose University, Bonnie could make a return. I like what I've got planned...I just need the time to write it.

Epicocity: Thanks for all that information! To close us off, any words to give to aspiring writers that you’d like to share?

AC: A wise young trainer once said, "Don't give up till it's over." It works for writing too.

Epicocity: Well, thank you for taking the time to do this interview!


AC: No problem. I enjoyed it...longer answers than I thought I would originally give.

And there we go! Hope you all enjoyed reading, and be sure to expect more in the future!

1 comment: